Thursday 23 April 2015

Week Thirteen: Character Hand In

        My texturing is awful for this project, I’m always wondering about the balance between how much is too much with texturing. Just looking on google images at 3d models of assets, I can’t help but feel that there’s always too much going on something that’s not too important. But I tend to carry this view over to character models. We’re taught to remove intense shadows and light off the diffuse/ albedo and for me it makes me think if we have to get rid of all of it, so it pretty much becomes a flat shadow. Writing it out now, and understanding my thought process shows how wrong I am about tackling this element of texturing, and moving forward with it.
        The character’s face is very jagged as I still haven’t figured out a way to smooth the face out in the model, smoothing groups can slightly smooth the face out by manipulating the lighting, but this does not work when the angle changes between the geometry is too great for this trick to work.
         The clothing on the character appears extremely flat as well. I made a normal map in Z brush, but as I found out later on, sometimes the normal map does not export properly, coming out either too strong or too weak, for me it came out as the latter. The clothing also lacks any texture to it, as I was trying to do it in the style of Blizzard’s new game, Overwatch, by having simplistic texturing and instead using a range of maps to mirror the lighting effects of the fabric.

Simplistic texturing shown on the in game Tracer model from Overwatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment