Thursday 23 April 2015

Week Ten: Scribbles on a Page

















Page 1 to 6 going from left to right

And then on the seventh day God gave us light… Or more like incoherent scribbles. Also I'm not god.

So with the wise words just scribble on a page I started my journey, with some doubt, that’ll be able to produce an interesting silhouette. Was I literally just to scribble on a page? Do I scribble some sort of humanoid form? How much scribbling was too much? Do I use straight lines or just curved lines?
I tried all these techniques finding the best way to produce interesting forms.

Drawing 1 involved me trying to produce humanoid forms using mostly curves.
Drawing 2 was done in the same technique as drawing 1, but quicker.
Drawing 3 was the same as the two above but line work is obviously looser than the mentioned.
Drawing 4 is the most different from the group of pages. This one is fully covered with scribbles, no obvious recognisable forms, and I did not try to produce any humanoid forms.
Drawing 5 went back to me producing more humanoid forms than drawing one and drawing two. More humanoid forms makes less interesting silhouettes.
Drawing 6 had more clusters of lines.

I also found that rotating the page allowed me to find more silhouettes which you could only notice from a certain angle. I use the lasso tool to trace around the lines, then the bucket tool was used to produce silhouettes.

To start the silhouetting pairs, grouped all the silhouettes into a PSD file, before filtering out the unusable silhouettes. From over 100, I dropped down to 72. I then went through another round of removing silhouettes, getting rid of the less interesting ones, dropping my amount of usable even lower. From there I place them all in rows on one side of the page leaving the other side blank to produce interesting pairs of silhouettes. I then got rid of the most boring pairs leaving only nine from the 35 pairs.
(Talk about the nine left)
Again I went to 3 more rounds of removing silhouettes to bring me to make three chosen ones. I pushed into these designs creating multiple different characters in a single silhouette form.
I stuck with the silhouette which had the large angled hulking humanoid form and a small fragile human. What I saw in the human form was a female with flowing robes, which I then associated it with Korea.
Japan, Korea, looks like it’s China next for country to inspire me.

No comments:

Post a Comment