Friday 24 April 2015

Week Sixteen: Finally some Engine Work!



      Watching other people texturing is extremely helpful on how to move forward on improve my texturing. I can see how my team members can get the values wrong and have too much lighting information on the Albedo. From this begun to I fell that working too much into a texture can make it look unrealistic, but this is probably down to values. I feel texturing is the same with painting, a good value is balance is a lot better than colours thrown onto a page without thinking about the tonal range.

This was one of the first projects where I was able to use the Unreal Engine. The previous group I was in, one of the team members was bottlenecking the engine work. At first I even found the most basic stuff to be quite difficult, this included how to import assets into the engine, how to apply materials to an asset, and general understanding of the UI. This version of unreal is significantly better than the previous version, as it’s much more user-friendly, but still the UI is quite daunting to a new user.

I managed to produce a few blueprints for the level, such as a matinee fade in, and interactive door which you press E and the level fades out. I also managed to program in a crouch and a sprint function. I have this rather bizarre ability to be able to tell someone how to make blueprint and what they need to implement, but I personally have no clue on how to actually construct the blueprint.

No comments:

Post a Comment