Thursday 23 April 2015

Week Fourteenth: Oh God another group project

       I honestly don’t mind group work, but with my marred experience of the first project, I do have a lot of apprehension for them. It turned out, I had no need to worry from this first week. The people I’m working with, are acquaintances. I never really spoke to them, but when I had they were fun to talk to. We came together in a group because we pretty much had no one to go with. I was part of a group of five, but we were told to split, so I volunteered to leave. I didn’t want the original people in the group to split, so I left. For the first couple of days we were only a group of three, and we went off concepting for our own ideas relating to this.
       This project is based on creating a city made out of shipping containers, which we could change the appearance of as long as they retained the basic shape, and function of the container. We had to base our city on one of two genres. The Sci-fi genre or the dystopian genre. We also didn’t have to produce a city, but could produce corridors of containers as long as it was made to look like people lived their daily lives there.
       My idea for this was to base the container city in a crashed slaver transport ship. The corridors through the ship would be based off weapon containers and containers filled with cryogenics pod were they put their victims in the pods for transportation. You would have started in the bottom of the ship and worked your way up climbing through containers to reach the ships core and shut it down. As you go through the ship, water would run down from above, illuminated by the chemicals from the ship’s core, and the walls would have almost cave painting on them showing how the ship got into this situation and how the prisoners lived until it became too dangerous and left.

       When we came back together to reveal our ideas to one another, 2 out of the 3 of us, went with a sci-fi theme. We decided to take elements from each other’s ideas and decided to produce a mafia controlled area, where you would wake up in a place with sleeping pods were the lower members of the mob would sleep and pass through a drug lab area, to a black market area, and then into a club ran by the mafia. We then were given areas to work on, I was given the corridor area with the sleeping pods, as we went later on into the week a fourth member joined us who was tasked to help me out. Most of this week went to concepting the areas and some slight modelling of props and mock-ups of the area blockouts.

I do have a major worry though, everyone I’m working with are so skilled at what they do, and I fear that I might let the group down. I’m not good with texturing at all, and it’s becoming a major issue for me now, as I do consider texturing to be incredibly important in the asset production.

No comments:

Post a Comment